Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ode to Ron Paul

Dear Ronald Ernest Paul,

I was a doubter, a naysayer, a skeptic. I did not fully comprehend the fervor of your followers, but you have me listening now. Let me explain to my reader out there, an experience I had on Saturday.

I live in a town, its rather large. The city of angels, that's right, Los Angeles... LA, the place where nearly 12 million people dwell. Where our mayor dates reporters, our houses catch on fire and the sun never ceases to shine.

One would think, that despite the many political enthusiasts amongst the city, a certain degree of anonymity would be afforded to me in this sprawling metropolis. And keeping my political interests/life at arms reach from my actually home, would be an easy feat to accomplish. In the past I was correct. But upon walking out of my place on Saturday morning, I ran into my neighbor and he disproved my assumption quite handedly.

My neighbor can be described as the following: Male. 55, tall, slender with salt and pepper hair. Lives with another guy - but i think they're straight. His mother moved into his place a month ago - ouch. Drives a Ford Taurus, circa 1995 - he works on it most weekends to keep it running. Occupation: unknown - but I've seen him selling clocks on a corner before. Daily attire consists of shorts, tennis shoes, no shirt, blue tooth ear piece affixed on right ear. Generally, very courteous to me in our very brief exchanges, but overall profile: odd local dude.

Upon this fateful Saturday morning he sees me walking by and I notice something amiss. His car, the beautiful faded grey that it normally is, has been obscured by decals of some sort. As I get closer and they come into focus. RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT. A big red, white and blue sign. But wait, not just one though, 5 of them! All around his car...and two bumper stickers! One on each side of his other bumper sticker (originally the only one) which reads "Support your local cat house".

Overnight his car transformed into one huge advertisement. We greeted eachother and my neighbor proceeded to laud Ron Paul to me for the next 8 minutes. I was transfixed at the sight of this man. A man who I never had any real connection to and knew nothing about...came out of no where and became this political juggernaut to my Saturday morning. He was attaching one of his many signs to his bicycle, which he was going to ride down to the beach to gain supporters with. He and his buddies had in the last day raised $28k and were going out for more donations. He was quite proud of this and went on and on about the merits of Ron Paul. Lauding him with each and every sentence. Our exchange ended with my neighbor making me take one of his signs. He instructed me to post it proudly, put it in the back window of my car...anything. Mind you, this sign is 3x2 feet, not exactly a lil' bumper sticker.

So...I'm currently driving around with a Ron Paul sign in the trunk of my car. I don't have a serious conclusion to this meandering post, but damn, that was an interesting slice of political enthusiasm I was given. Just wanted to share. Good times.

Ron, even if you don't win, which I think its safe to say you won't, you've carved a special place in my memories of this election. Even though you converted my neighbor into walking, talking version of yourself, I'm impressed with the effort and have been touched by the long arm of your supporters.

Stanton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True leaders inspire...as Martin Luther King, Jr. said:

"If you want to move people, it has to be toward a vision that's positive for them, that taps important values, that gets them something they desire, and it has to be presented in a compelling way that they feel inspired to follow." Sounds like your neighbor has and IS experiencing this through Ron Paul...great story!